E

Viewer Discretion is Advised

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

**Just a note-There is puke in some of the following pictures. Beware!


Okay, so here are a couple of cakes that I did before I went on vacation. It was Sunday, Monday and Wednesday that I made them and I left at 5:00 in the morning on Thursday, so I was working till the end.
Since you may not be able to tell, this is Yoda. I made him for my brother in law's birthday. I think he looks more like a ninja turtle/yoda hybrid.
This one is for Floyd. He's a convert that my grandparents taught.
This is for a charity baby shower for SaltLakeCityMommies.
The trip begins! The Turley family (my dad's parents) have been planning this family reunion for about forever. I don't remember exactly when but its been years in the making. I'd been really excited to go and see all my family that I never get to see. Just not excited to travel all the way to Missouri. I didn't even think flying was an option and driving with two young children does NOT float my boat. Turns out Josh was only able to take off enough time to fly to the reunion, so our hand was forced. Boohoo.
I was kind of nervous about the flight. I hadn't been on an airplane since I was ten and Clara's never been on one but she was really looking forward to it. I remember my last flight. It was from England to Texas. Pretty long flight. The food wasn't good, except breakfast. I loved looking out the window and seeing the tiny mountains below. The plane was HUGE! I felt very safe flying.
We make it to the airport and start boarding our plane. I look in and my stomach just ties itself in knots. This plane was sooooo tiny. It looked like the littlest breeze would just toss it out of the sky. I sucked it up and sat down. The take off was nerve-wracking. The flight and landing were worse. I was freaking out. Clara loved it, only it screwed her up pretty bad. She didn't puke on the flight but once we got our rental car, it was partially digested food showers for everyone.
Our rental car and Clara BEFORE
The aftermath.

She puked in the happy meal box, she puked out the window, into the wind and, consequently, back into the car, she puked in the hotel, the parking lot, the restaurant, the Vocal Point performance. I was swearing up and down that she had the flu but Josh won when we bought her motion sickness pills and all was well. That was fun. That was our first and part of the second day of our vacation. When we arrived in Missouri, we got our car and headed towards Nauvoo. It was a 4 1/2 hour drive. We got there late on Thursday night, just in time to watch Vocal Point. It was a great performance. A very funny and talented group. The next day we went to old Nauvoo and saw all the historic sites and houses. We got to play pioneer games and try to walk on stilts. It was really fun. My parents were there with us until we split up at about noon. They headed to the reunion at Crowder State Park and we went to Carthage Jail.





That place is so sad. I just wanted to cry the whole time I was there. Its very interesting to know all the facts about the day of the prophet's martyrdom. Several wonderful, powerful men died that day, but the Lord's restored gospel continued.




After that we finally headed to the reunion, another long drive. It was soooo much fun to see everyone though! We ate and played games and ate and visited and ate and slept and ate. The kitchen was going 24/7! That's what happens when you have to make three meals a day for 106 people! It was so cool seeing everyone grown up and hearing what they've been up to and their testimonies and talents. I can't wait until the next one, although I'm sure I'll have to.

9 comments:

The Schmidts said...

Wow!! How exciting! I want to go back there and see the sites, just not on a honeymoon ha ha!! I think the temple is beautiful and we didn't really get a chance to go around and see too many spots, although when we went to cartrige jail Mary Osmond was in our group... okay so that isn't fantastic but I remembered it :) I love listening to the stories in there, did they have you sing in the school of the prophets? Powerful place, very spiritual!! That is great you were able to take your family!!

The Schmidts said...

oh and Poor Clara... I've had the puking fest with Gavin everytime we drive down to Arizona, he's puked the whole entire way... its awful, at least she knew to try and get it out the window... I'd have to try and catch Gavin's... UGH Awful...

Emily said...

I love Nauvoo! I went there on my way home from my mission so I was really into the church history. Which I still am, but not as much. I want to go back sometime. Poor Clara! The car looks nice...well until the explosion. She's adorable in the pioneer outfits. Nolan is sure cute on that sheep too. Cute stuff! I'm getting used to Moscow. Its freezing! Its also really, really small. But its nice to go for runs in the country. I kind of like that. Anyway, I'll email you more later! Love the baby shower cake by the way!

Anonymous said...

I have never been to Nauvoo but I have always wanted to go. It sounds like your trip was exciting. Cute pictures!!

ps. I love that baby shower cake... it is so cute!

Stephanie said...

oh how cute is Clara as a pioneer! Poor girl with all the barfing. Yeah, 't'would have been super fun for all us younger mommmies to have a little hang out; I didn't even think of that. Well another time for sure! Thanks for liking my remodel. :)

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, there's an easier way to hold the stilts so that you can actually stay on them! Then you can work your way up to doing it in a dress!!! ;) But sounds fun, and those puke pictures! Awesome! Poor Clara though...I'm glad the pills did the job. And man, she must have a huge stomach or somethin!

Melanie said...

Fun pictures! We also went to Nauvoo and loved the childrens place.

Sierra said...

Gotta' love that motion sickness, I get it bad too. Nauvoo looks like so much fun. Spencer and I want to go soooo bad. We want to do the WHOLE church history tour one day.

Rob and Tami Stewart said...

First of all, I love the cakes. They look great! I'm glad you had a fun trip, minus the puke! haha! That is so sad! I'd like to see Nauvoo someday, I've wanted to for a long time.